Mumbai is India’s most-populous city, and it is one of the largest and most densely populated urban areas in the world. It was built on a site of ancient settlement, and it took its name from the local goddess Mumba—a goddess of the local Koli fishing people—whose temple once stood in what is now the southeastern section of the city. It became known as Bombay during the British colonial period, the name possibly derived from Bom Baim (“Good Harbour”), supposedly a Portuguese name for the locale. The name Mumbai was restored officially in 1995, although Bombay remained in common usage. Today, Mumbai is India's commercial and financial capital, as well as the capital city of Maharashtra State.
Now that you know a bit of Mumbai's background, here are 10 things that you should not do when in Mumbai!
1. Talk shit about Cricket. It is literally a second religion
2. Reject food at your host's place. You will crush their spirit
3. Stand in front of Amitabh Bachchan, Shahrukh Khan OR Priyanka Chopra's house. You will look stupid and it is a giant waste of time
4. Call an elderly person by their name. Call them Uncle/ Aunty and you are gold
5. Go to one of the many temples in your expensive Jordans. They will get stolen
6. Indulge in PDAs. You will get stared down
7. Wear Black to an Indian Wedding. You will be chased out
8. Look straight ahead and walk. We have open manholes